Saturday, July 11, 2009

Disastrous Event !

I think most of you guys that read my blog knew that I work part time for Aspen, a company specializing in event organization and event related stuff. I have been working for them in a few event but this is the first time I'm working in an logo launching event held in a club lounge. The club name ? Well, Bar Celona at Sunway, one of the club I use to frequent in the past.

The company involved in the logo launching event, well name it X company is a company that are quite famous in the networking field. They have started operations one decade ago and now I think they are doing quite well that they think they need a logo. And the theme for the night was related to jewelery and catwalk ! Haha. When there is catwalk, there are models !

Yeah, they have hired around 12 models, stunning models. Some looked like an angel from the sky, some are hot, while some look simple yet elegant. But most importantly, 70% of them are taller than me, with the tallest around 6 feet +. Hahaha.

However, the day didn't start off too well. I was late for the set up and I knew Steve and Kean had waited me for more than 15 minutes. To make matter worse, I was driving in Subang area, when Simon called me. I had told him in an sms earlier that I'm already in Subang area and will arrive within minutes, but yet he call me =.=". I didn't see there was a traffic police nearby and the minute I realized, I was asked to stop by. As usual, we did a little bit of chit chat, and he happily let me go. If you wanna know more, feel free to ask me. Then, I reached Sunway Pyramid at about 10.50, 20 minutes late and I rushed to Barcelona.

The set up for this event was pretty simple. Most of the heavy work was done by the wood workers and AV workers. We're there to help out on some simple work, carry some stuff around and waited for the briefing only. Again this time around, I was put in charged of the backstage and the dressing room (backstage manager). I had worked as a backstage manager for the previous two annual dinner event. At first I thought it would be pretty easy again this time, since we are equipped with high tech wireless speak +mic (walkie talkie sucks compared to that wireless thingy !). But I was proved wrong, when things start to run out of coordination.

We have models in the dressing room and of course, they change within that 6 feet x 3 feet dressing room. All of them change there. It was packed and I wasn't not allowed to stay inside the room when they are changing (duh !). Therefore, I communicate through a middle person which is Fifi in this case. She will talk to Sabrina inside and tell me how is their preparation process before I can inform those on the console stage that they can roll out the carpet.

Because of the event was tightly scheduled with no long breaks in between of each show, things start to run out of coordination abit. We made a lot of mistakes and I did one major one - I did not alias properly with the emcee resulting her telling the crowd that the event already ended at 9++. Luckily she did mention what I told her on the later part, asking the crowd to stay and continue on with the night. Zha dou......

Well, well. The event basically ended at about 10.30 with people leaving and we have to give back the venue to Bar Celona for their normal clubbing night. We start cleaning up and by 11.10, everything was loaded into cars and lorries, waiting to be delievered to its respective location.

It was still a fun event and whole new experience. Something that you cannot bought with money, the experience of working with club djs, our own console and the models. After all that is Aspen, we make things happen (their theme kot, from their website). Hahahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment