Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Some how strange things do happen in life

On Saturday, I received a call from my ex-supervisor, whereby she asked me to attend a Sime Darby interview on Monday. However, I told her I have to fly on Monday to the Lion City as there is an interview for me to attend on Tuesday. She didn't give up on her hope. She continued telling me stories about the latest development in Sime Darby Technology Centre (the place I did my industrial training) and the newly established Sime Darby Genomics Sdn Bhd. Then again, she tried to convince me into attending that particular interview. This time around she managed to convince me. She starts telling me details about the interview. To my surprise, it is an interview to look for candidates for the management trainee program. But what surprises me more, is that their minimum requirement is CGPA 2.5 or equivalent. I was like wtf ? For the first time I heard that there is a management trainee program that had such a low requirement. But, somehow, when I think a bit further, I knew most of the reasons behind this (I wont elaborate here, if you are interested, ask me personally :D)

As expected, since the interview was advertised on newspaper, I knew a lot people would be there to try their luck as the chance to work in an MNC with status such as Sime Darby doesn't come along too often. I expect a crowd of about 100 ppl, but when I reach there at about 9 am, I see 200-300 ppl. During registration, I managed to meet two new friends from UiTM Shah Alam. Haha, nice lad with good results. Luckily they are from Engineering which means they wont be competing with me. After I get my registration done, I went to the toilet outside the room. At the hallway, I meet Wen See and Danny. What a surpise again ! Then I met Jian Pen and my old biotech gang ! Seems like, I'm not the only one interested to get a career with Sime Darby.

Then, some officer from Sime Darby starts calling our name and assigning us to specific room on another floor for interview. I was assigned to Downstream processing for the Plantation division which at first, I didn't suspect anything amiss. However, when I was waiting for my turn outside the room, I saw Miss Lisa and Kak Julia. They were situated in the room next to us, interviewing Bioscience and R&D grads ! I was like wtf ? Then I saw Miss Lisa reassigning some people to our room as they are from the Engineering field. That is the moment where I realize, we are being assigned to wrong room !

When it was my turn, I get into the room and saw two interviewer. One chinese and one malay man, both seems to be high officials from Sime Darby. I gave them my resume and showed them all my certificates and qualification. They start the session, by asking me to describe about myself and would I accept work that in the manufacturing division and relocation to places such as Melaka, Johor or Penang. Then they realize I was a Bioscience grad and I should not be in their room ! But they said it is ok and we continued on with the interview. As they were flipping through some of my certs, they the cert I received from SDTC. Then, they knew I already have experience working for Sime Darby related companies. Hence, they cut the interview short and we finished it within 10 minutes. Another suprise again, probably the shortest interview I have ever attend.

Done with the interview, I talk to Danny and Wen See abit before heading back to the room to meet up with Jian Pen. Then at 11.00 am, I rush down Legend Hotel and get back to The Mall where I bought my favourite Mocha Berry from Starbucks before heading to UTAR to pass up my yellow form for convo. Then at 3 pm, I went to LCCT to catch my flight to Singapore and I reach Singapore at 4.30 pm. Took a long rest for that day as I need to attend Temasek Holdings interview on the next day. Will blog about that later.

1 comment:

  1. hi i have just received an email from SD for management trainee programme. Mind to share your experience? and What to expect?

    ReplyDelete