Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Post Phuket Life

Phuket graduation trip is over. It was a great trip, and the 10 of us spend some really great time having fun, playing around in Phuket. Something that I would remember for life and I have placed the souvenir (the plate with our photo) from Phi Phi Island on my table, as to remind me of those precious time spend with all my best friend. Some good friends did not join us for the holiday, but never mind, in future, we will organize another one this time around, somewhere better and nicer (and hopefully H1N1 scare is over by that time). I will post more about the trip later, as I am still waiting for pictures.

As the happy moments are over, nightmare is looming. I start looking for job seriously now and I have set a few target to achieve within 2-3 years. Well, thats my personal target and I am not going to reveal out here. However, after looking at jobstreet.com for a few days, I finally understand that the science in Malaysia is really doom compared to Singapore or Australia. People used to tell me how gloomy is the Science field in Malaysia, but I was rather optimistic in the past that the government will create job opportunities, private institution will come and invest in Malaysia creating new jobs and others... However, this few days make me realize that the Science field in Malaysia would require another 10 or maybe 15 years to develop. Even in recession times, Singapore is still hiring biological science talents, while in Malaysia opportunities do exist but much lower compared to Singapore.

Not to forget the pay of a lab technician in Singapore is about SGD 1800 - SGD 2400. Junior rank scientist can get a pay of about SGD 2500 - SGD 3200. However, in Malaysia, lab technician might only receive RM 1500 monthly, while junior scientist get paid about RM 2200-RM2700 monthly. This seriously make me to reconsider, without a master degree, should I continue my path in R&D or seek my opportunities elsewhere. And yes, to me passion in work is important, but the amount of $$$ they willing to pay me takes the highest piority.

Due to this, I'm now reconfiguring my future. A lot opportunities that interest me lies in other field. Banking and Finance, Food and Beverage Manufacturing and Business Development. I major in Biological science, but I know there are science/engineering graduates working in bank and doing quite well. On the other hand, F&B do hire science graduates, but going into their manufacturing line if not QA/QC, is like, totally not related to science at all. While Business development, well.. I have no idea..

Well... I still do not know what I want in future. Succesful, Powerful and Moneyful.. definitely. But, how to achieve that, and I should go into what field to achieve that ? Haha. No idea at all. I have a great interest to pursue master degree in Australia, but I do not wish to use my dad's money. Its a huge investment on me, particularly with Australia rate at RM 2.77 -> AUD 1. I have been thinking that I should work first, den continue to apply for scholarships and postgraduate position. If I got it, den I go, if no, den stay put and work. But is that a good way ? Or, should I, once start working, den forget about postgrad. Lol. This is something for me to ponder about for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment