Friday, August 14, 2009

Convocation (Part 1 )

The day finally arrived. It was 8th of August, Year 2009. A day that I would remember for life, for it to be the day, where I step on the stage to receive my scroll, a sign that I have already graduated from University Tunku Abdul Rahman with a Bachelor degree in Biochemistry.

3 years of hardwork, 6 semesters in academic calenders, ~96 weeks of classes/labs/in FES compound and uncountable amount of time that I have spent with my university friends. Sweet, sour, bitter, we have tasted it all. Arguments, tears, laugh and crisis, we have seen it all. We have come this far, to this day, where we are no longer classmates/coursemates but we are friends, and we are friends for life.

When I first made a decision that will change my life entirely, I wasn't too sure about the potential outcome of my decision. That decision is to get me enrolled into a program known as Certificate of Pre University Studies in Tunku Abdul Rahman College. Upon the completion of the program, I am allowed to do Biotechnology in UTAR.

Those that have known me for years, must have known that Mr. Alex Cheang is actually a "banana". Yeah. He originate from Sekolah Kebangsaan, meaning that he had not being taught of his own mother language during his primary years. However, his father put a strong emphasize on the learning of mother language but he had no interest in it and after 6 years of private tuition, his parents abandon the idea of him learning his own mother language. And it really surprises his parents, when he came up with the idea of joining TARC/UTAR because both institution is famous for Chinese community.

His life there ? Well. In the beginning it wasn't really that great. He suffered culture shock beause all this while he was surrounded by English/Cantonese speakers in school and all of a sudden, he is surrounded by Cantonese/Mandarin speaker only. The first few months were like hell for him. But he had a strong will and he knows that if he try, he can make it. Then, he met some really good friends in college where they taught him how to speak proper Mandarin, bring him to sing k along with them, ask him out for yam char/shopping on the weekend.

Then there comes the university life. When he finish his foundation studies, he made another decision that will bring him into another group of friends. Instead of going into Biotechnology together with his college friends, he opted to do Biochemistry, something that he have a deep interest in. He is going into this new course alone, meaning that he had to adapt to the new environment again.

Did he regretted it ? Hell NO. His university life will definitely be one of the most amazing moments in his entire life. There, he made new friends with people from all over Malaysia. Learning culture from other states and at the same time, improving his poor mandarin. Together with his friends, they spend a lot of time together, going for karaoke session, steamboat/makan makan session, shopping session, cooking together, going for trips together and etc etc. All these moments are moments that will be remembered for life. How can I forget our trip to Port Dickson ? How can I can forget our trip to Cameron Highlands ? How can I can forget our graduation trip to Phuket ?

My relatives used to ask me, why didn't you opt to study overseas. It's not like you cannot get a place in oversea university and it would be a very good experience for me. I know a lot of my cousins are overseas graduates, with a few from the Ivy league and Top 8 universities in Australia. But hey, we can't make a comparison like that. I love my time in UTAR and I'm proud to announce that I graduated from UTAR. Thou it wasn't really a great university, but I have my time there and the experience is priceless. You don't have to be in the best university to learn, you can still learn if you have the determination.

Today, I am an official graduate from UTAR. I think after all, I did make a good decision and that decision really changes me a lot. I have become more matured, more decisive and more importantly, I know what my future goals are. Thou, we are no longer classmates, but we are friends. And I vow that I will continue to keep in touch with all my coursemates ! As I have said a lot of times, Biochemistry Class of May 09' rocks !




3 comments:

  1. yeah!!!happy graduation!!WE ROCKs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. finally, your time has arrive. When is the time to get marry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sean: Yeah we rocks !

    Eng Soon: 10 years from now :D. And I'm serious :P

    ReplyDelete